What Should You Not Tell a Caregiver?
If your loved one or a friend is a caregiver, you may want to offer compassion and support. However, some phrases can pressure and aggravate caregiver stress, so you should not tell them to a caregiver. So, when offering comfort and empathy to a caregiver, avoid saying things such as:
- You look tired/exhausted/bad.
- You should not be sacrificing that much to your (mother, father, spouse, uncle, etc.)
- Caregiving seems like such a burden. You don’t have life.
- You should go out more.
- I don’t know how you do it!
- You should hire a skilled person to do this job.