Your body needs and health condition may change as you age. However, a well-balanced diet is essential because it helps you stay healthy, maintain optimum body weight and lower the risk of developing chronic illnesses.
A well-balanced diet in your 60s should contain foods rich in:
- Vitamins: fruits, leafy greens, bell peppers, broccoli, carrots, squash
- Minerals: nuts and seeds, cocoa, beans, lentils, avocado,
- Healthy fats: fish, seafood, nuts, eggs, chia seeds, dark chocolate
- Fiber: whole-grain foods, vegetables, beans, dried fruits, berries
Also, make sure to consume two to three servings of low-fat milk, yogurt, or cheese daily.
At the same time, avoid:
- Unpasteurized milk
- Undercooked meat
- Raw poultry
- Deli meats
- Foods high in saturated and trans-fat, sugars, preservatives, and salt
- Raw seafood
Summary: Staying active, consuming healthy foods, and keeping in touch with family and friends can keep you healthy and happy in your 60s. Also, self-care strategies such as exercise, mindfulness meditation, hobbies, and connection with nature can keep you in good mental health, improve your immune system, and increase longevity.