The 5 ADLs involve basic self-care routines that we perform every day. These involve:
- Personal hygiene – bathing, washing hands, washing hair, grooming, oral, and nail care
- Feeding – the ability to feed oneself
- Dressing – the ability to choose and wear the proper clothes
- Toileting – the ability to properly use the bathroom
- Transferring – the ability to change positions and walk independently.
Understanding the level of assistance your loved one needs in each of these categories helps determine the amount of care needed but it also helps determine whether the person is eligible for state and Federally-funded government help.