The 5 ADLs involve basic self-care routines that we perform every day. These involve:
- Personal hygiene – bathing, washing hands, washing hair, grooming, oral, and nail care
- Feeding – the ability to feed oneself
- Dressing – the ability to choose and wear the proper clothes
- Toileting – the ability to properly use the bathroom
- Transferring – the ability to change positions and walk independently.
Understanding the level of assistance your loved one needs in each of these categories helps determine the amount of care needed but it also helps determine whether the person is eligible for state and Federally-funded government help.
See how to help someone with their ADLs.
Devoted Guardians companies have been committed to improving the lives of seniors since 2007. We are an in-home care provider of comprehensive home support services to help seniors and disabled individuals who need assistance with daily living.
Our professional and compassionate caregivers can not only help ensure your loved one's daily needs are met, but can also arrange for a variety of other services, such as music therapy, hair styling, landscaping, and home repairs, that are simply not available at other home care agencies in Arizona. In short, Devoted Guardians can help your loved one remain as independent as possible for as long as possible.