Fall risk is a very serious issue for elderly adults. Each year throughout the United States approximately 30 percent of older adults aged 64 years and older suffer a fall. Many of these will result in potentially serious injuries that can diminish health, functioning, and quality of life, and even increase the chances that your senior may die in the months following the injury.
As a family caregiver you can help to protect your parent and their well-being moving forward by taking steps to reduce the risk of falling. One way that you can do this is making meaningful modifications to their environment so that you can keep them safer and reduce their risk of falling.
Some meaningful modifications that you can make to the exterior of your parent’s home to help reduce fall risk include:
- Ensure that the walkway leading to the front door is clear of any debris, including plants, rocks, or decorative items.
- Ensure that the driveway and the walkway are in good condition rather than cracked or broken, which can cause them to lose their balance.
- Install stable banisters on the steps to keep your parent balanced as they climb onto the porch.
- Do not allow the hose to cross the sidewalk.
- If there is cold weather, make sure to apply de-icer that will help keep conditions from becoming too slippery.
- Ensure that there is plenty of lighting to illuminate the area for easier navigation.
- Consider placing a chair or bench beside the door so that your parent can put items down on it rather than trying to juggle them to open the door.
Starting home care can be a fantastic way to help your parent maintain their quality of life, manage their needs and challenges, and find meaning and fulfillment in their later years. This home care services provider can be with your parent on a customized schedule to ensure that they are with your senior when it is right for them according not just to their needs and challenges, but also to the amount of care that you are already able to provide.
This means that your parent will always have access to the care, support, and assistance that will help them to stay happy, healthy, safe, and comfortable. These highly personalized services can also help your parent to pursue a greater level of independence, engagement, and fulfilment throughout their later years.
If you or an aging loved-one are considering hiring Home Care Services in Peoria AZ, please contact the caring staff at Devoted Guardians today. Affordable In-Home Care in the Phoenix Metro Area. Call Today: (800) 699-4781 or (480) 999-3012.
Aaron spent 5 years working for Intel Corporation in Chandler, Arizona right out of college until he ventured off on his own. Aaron has owned and operated successful small businesses for the past 10 years.
Aaron is currently the CEO and owner of Devoted Guardians a Non-Medical In Homecare Agency covering the entire Phoenix valley. Aaron has been CEO since 2012 and running businesses since 2005.
Latest posts by Aaron Sinykin, MBA, CEO (see all)
- Eight Ways for Caregivers to Care for Themselves - September 17, 2018
- 5 Side Effects of Cancer Treatment and How to Cope with Them - September 4, 2018
- Could Your Aging Parent Have Diabetes? - August 20, 2018