Being a family caregiver for an elderly adult can be very stressful and emotionally challenging, especially if your parent has extensive care needs due to particular health problems. Fulfilling these care needs while also handling everything else in your life can put your mental, emotional, and physical health and well-being at risk. One of the best ways to protect yourself and ease this stress is to participate in a support group for caregivers. Dedicating yourself to this support group can help you to make the most of it and get the most benefit.
Use these tips to help you make the most of a support group for caregivers:
- Find one that is specifically for caregivers of elderly adults. If your parent has a particular challenge, such as cancer or Alzheimer’s disease, look for a group that is dedicated to caregivers for that type of senior. This ensures the most beneficial and specific support and advice.
- Commit to being a part of it and put in the time, energy, and effort. Make this a “non-negotiable” in your schedule and keep up with it as you would a doctor’s appointment or other important obligation.
- Be willing to open up to the other people in the group. Expressing your thoughts and emotions is freeing and offers a release, but it also helps to build closer relationships which makes you feel more supported.
- Ask the questions that you have, even if they feel somewhat uncomfortable. Most likely, someone else in that group has been there before and will have a valuable answer for you.
- Share your own expertise as well. Even if you are just getting started, share what you are going through and what you have experienced. If someone else asks a question or shares a concern that they are having that you can relate to, share. This will not only help others, but will make you feel less alone, stronger, and more capable.
Being a family caregiver for an elderly adult can be a wonderful way to show your love and ensure that your aging parent gets what they need to live with as much quality of life possible as they age in place. It can also be stressful and challenging, particularly if you are already caring for children, live at a distance from your parent, or have a busy schedule in your daily life.
Fortunately, elderly care can help. The professional services of a care provider can fill care gaps and give your parent additional support and assistance that they need to maintain the most fulfilling, healthy, safe, and independent lifestyle possible.
This can not only help your parent to find more meaning and enjoyment in this new chapter of their life, but can also ease your stress and support better mental, physical, and emotional health and well-being for both of you. Some of the highly personalized services that can be offered by a elderly care provider include safe and reliable transportation, mobility support, assistance with personal care needs, help with housekeeping tasks, running errands, meal preparation, medication reminders, and companionship.
If you or an aging loved-one are considering hiring Elderly Care Services in Glendale AZ, please contact the caring staff at Devoted Guardians today. Affordable In-Home Care in the Phoenix Metro Area. Call Today: (800) 699-4781 or (480) 999-3012.
Aaron spent 5 years working for Intel Corporation in Chandler, Arizona right out of college until he ventured off on his own. Aaron has owned and operated successful small businesses for the past 10 years.
Aaron is currently the CEO and owner of Devoted Guardians a Non-Medical In Homecare Agency covering the entire Phoenix valley. Aaron has been CEO since 2012 and running businesses since 2005.