June 4 through 10 is National Sun Safety Week. As a family caregiver this is the perfect time for you to evaluate your parent’s routine and find ways that both of you can make better choices to help prevent the serious damage that can come from exposure to the sun. This damage can include everything from minor sunburns to harm to the eyes and even increased risk of skin cancer.
Use these tips to protect your parent from the sun:
• Sunscreen. The precaution that most people think of immediately is wearing sunscreen. Using sunscreen regularly and effectively is crucial to keep their skin protected from damaging UV rays. Make sure that any time your parent is out of the home they are protecting their skin with sunscreen that has at an SPF of at least 30. This applies any time of year and also on cloudy days.
• Stay out of the most-intense sun. Some exposure to the sun is important for health and well-being, but it is important that this is done carefully. Discourage your parent from being out in the sun during the hours when the rays are their most intense, between 10 am and 4 pm.
• Don’t forget the car. When most people think about protecting themselves from the sun they think about the time that they are outside. It is vital to remember, however, that you parent can still be vulnerable to skin and eye damage caused by the sun even when they are not outside. The intense rays of the sun can pass through normal windows, putting your parent at risk when they are in the vehicle for long stretches. Consider adding tint to the windows to block these rays. If your area does not allow this tint, choose a window screen that can block the sun during the most intense time to protect your parent while they are inside.
Starting home care for your elderly loved one can be one of the best decisions that you make for them throughout your caregiver journey. An in-home senior care services provider can be with your aging loved one on a completely customized schedule that ensures that they are getting all of the care, support, and assistance that they need when it is right both for them, and for the efforts that you can put forth for them. The highly personalized services of a home care provider mean that your aging parent can stay as safe, healthy, and comfortable as possible, while also pursuing a lifestyle that is independent, active, and engaged. This can include offering reminders to encourage your aging loved one to make healthy life choices, such as properly protecting themselves from the sun when they are enjoying activity outside of the home. In your role as a family caregiver this can give you a tremendous sense of peace of mind. Even when you are not able to be with them, you can rest assured that they are in good hands and getting everything that they need to enjoy the quality of life that they desire and deserve.
If you or an aging loved one are interested in hiring home care services in Phoenix, AZ or the surrounding areas, please contact the professional team at Devoted Guardians Home Care. Call today at (800) 699-4781 or (480) 999-3012.
Aaron spent 5 years working for Intel Corporation in Chandler, Arizona right out of college until he ventured off on his own. Aaron has owned and operated successful small businesses for the past 10 years.
Aaron is currently the CEO and owner of Devoted Guardians a Non-Medical In Homecare Agency covering the entire Phoenix valley. Aaron has been CEO since 2012 and running businesses since 2005.
Latest posts by Aaron Sinykin, MBA, CEO (see all)
- #3 of 10 Reasons You Can Be Confident When You Use Devoted Guardians Home Care - October 4, 2017
- What is Fibromyalgia? - October 2, 2017
- Caregiver of the Month October 2017 - September 29, 2017