Home Care in Mesa AZ
The bedroom is meant to be a place of relaxation, comfort, and privacy. As a family caregiver for an elderly adult who is living with Parkinson’s disease, it is important to remember that like any other area of their home, their bedroom must also be a place that is safe and secure for your parent. There are potential risks and dangers in the bedroom that could lead to your aging loved one suffering a serious injury, making it essential that you review this room carefully and make any necessary modifications to make it safer and more secure. This will help your parent to remain more comfortable as they age in place and gain more benefits from the rest that they get in this room.
Use this safe checklist to help ensure that your aging parent’s bedroom is as safe as possible during their journey with Parkinson’s disease:
- Ensure that your elderly loved one’s bed is not on risers and that they can comfortably put their feet on the ground when sitting on the edge. This makes getting into and out of the bed easier and helps to reduce the risk that they will lose their balance and fall.
- Add a half bed rail to the side of the bed to not only help to prevent your parent from rolling out of bed while they are sleeping, but also to give them added balance and leverage when getting into or out of the bed.
- Ensure that the light switch is close to the door so that they are able to turn the lights on and off from this entry point, eliminating the need to walk through a dark space.
- Ensure clothing in drawers or hanging in the closet are easily accessible so that your aging parent does not have to reach or climb to get to them.
- Consider a beside toilet seat if your parent frequently needs to use the restroom at night. This will help to reduce the risk of falls and other potential injuries that could occur as they make their way through the home in the dark.
Starting home care for your elderly loved one can be one of the best decisions that you can make for them as they progress through Parkinson’s disease. As their family caregiver you want what is best for your parent and to know that they are getting all of the care, support, assistance, and encouragement that they need on a regular basis to manage their challenges and limitations, address their symptoms, and promote the quality of life that you know they deserve. An in-home senior care services provider can help you to achieve this goal. Through a highly personalized set of services and a customized schedule, this care provider ensures that you remain at the forefront of your parent’s care while also giving them everything that they need to maintain their independence and activity level, and enjoy better health and safety throughout their later years. When it comes to helping your parent stay safe and comfortable in their bedroom, this care provider can give your parent the physical support and assistance that they need to manage tasks such as getting into and out of bed, changing clothes, or going to the restroom at night. This can give you peace of mind that even when you are getting the rest that you need, there is someone available to ensure your parent is safe.
If you or an aging loved one are interested in hiring home care in Mesa, AZ or the surrounding areas, please contact the professional team at Devoted Guardians Home Care. Call today at (800) 699-4781 or (480) 999-3012.
Aaron spent 5 years working for Intel Corporation in Chandler, Arizona right out of college until he ventured off on his own. Aaron has owned and operated successful small businesses for the past 10 years.
Aaron is currently the CEO and owner of Devoted Guardians a Non-Medical In Homecare Agency covering the entire Phoenix valley. Aaron has been CEO since 2012 and running businesses since 2005.