One of your most important responsibilities as a family caregiver is to encourage your elderly loved one to eat a healthy, well-balanced diet. What they eat makes a tremendous difference in your loved one’s health and well-being, as well as their quality of life throughout their later years. A busy schedule, however, can make it difficult for you to always make sure that your senior has a delicious, nutritious meal on their table. One way that you can achieve this is by filling their freezer with tasty and nutrient-packed meals that they can heat up whenever they want a filling, satisfying, and healthy meal.
Use these tips to create healthy and delicious freezer meals for your parent:
- Do not be afraid of frozen produce, because these items are picked, prepared, and packed at their peak of freshness, flavor, and nutrition
- Avoid using produce that comes with seasoning or sauces already on them because these can be high in salt, fat, and preservatives
- Prepare casseroles up to the baking stage and then freeze them for the best flavor and consistency upon final preparation
- If preparing a dish that contains large amounts of dairy, such as lasagna, bake it enough to melt the cheese and then freeze to protect its integrity
- Prepare your own freezer meals such as stir-frys or pasta dishes by cooking each element separately and then storing them together for later cooking
- Make it easy for your parent to add extra flavor to fresh ingredients by preparing sauces and freezing them in ice cube trays so that they can pop out a cube or two and add them to their meal
- Label everything carefully with what it is, how to prepare it, and recommendations for what to serve with it, such as a fresh salad or bread
If you have been looking for ways to improve your parent’s quality of life and help them to enjoy a healthier, more fulfilling lifestyle as they age in place, starting elderly care for them might be the ideal solution. An elderly home care services provider can be with your parent on a customized schedule that ensures that your loved one always has access to the care, support, encouragement, and assistance that they need whether you are able to be with them or not. When it comes to helping your parent maintain better physical health and well-being, as well as improved mental and emotional health, through a more balanced diet and more frequent involvement in their meal and snack preparation, you can feel confident in the support and personalized services of an elderly care provider. This care provider can help your parent research recipes that fit in with the nutritional guidelines that they should be following, but that also speak to their personal preferences and restrictions. They can then provide reliable and safe transportation to the grocery store to help your parent select the foods that are right for them, ensuring that they never have to wait for you to stock their freezer. Once at home, this are provider can assist your parent with meal and snack preparation, encouraging them to take on more of this task on their own for a boost in their mental and emotional health, and cognitive functioning, as well as improved diet.
If you or an aging loved one are interested in hiring home care in Glendale, AZ or the surrounding areas, please contact the professional team at Devoted Guardians Home Care. Call today at (800) 699-4781 or (480) 999-3012.
Aaron spent 5 years working for Intel Corporation in Chandler, Arizona right out of college until he ventured off on his own. Aaron has owned and operated successful small businesses for the past 10 years.
Aaron is currently the CEO and owner of Devoted Guardians a Non-Medical In Homecare Agency covering the entire Phoenix valley. Aaron has been CEO since 2012 and running businesses since 2005.
Latest posts by Aaron Sinykin, MBA, CEO (see all)
- Ranking Arizona – The Best of Arizona Business - June 19, 2017
- Why Is Your Elderly Loved One Engaging in Repetitive Actions and Behaviors? - June 14, 2017
- Ranking Arizona – The Best of Arizona Business - June 13, 2017