Pneumonia is a very serious risk for elderly adults. This infection of the lungs can lead to serious complications, even death, and can develop very quickly, particularly if your aging parent is already suffering from an infection such as a cold or the flu. By understanding the risk that your senior is facing, you can help to protect them from this potentially serious health complication, or be ready to give them the care that they need if they do develop it.
Some of the risk factors that might increase the chances that your aging parent will suffer pneumonia include:
Recent hospitalization. Pneumonia is the most common hospital acquired infection. This is particularly true if your aging parent has been in the hospital for an extended time, spent time in the intensive care unit, or was on a machine such as a ventilator.
- Smoking. Smoking is an incredibly dangerous habit to have and offers no benefits. If your parent smokes, their lungs could be damaged in a way that makes them more vulnerable to viruses that can lead to pneumonia.
- Suffering a chronic disease. If your senior is suffering from a chronic disease such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, also known as COPD, asthma, or heart disease, they are at far greater risk of suffering from pneumonia. This is especially true if their condition is not properly managed or they are taking certain medications.
- Weakened immune system. A weakened immune system makes it more likely that they will contract a serious infection. If your parent is dealing with HIV/AIDS, chemotherapy, or an organ transplant, their immune system is not as strong and they are more vulnerable.
If you have been considering ways that you can improve your parent’s quality of life, boost their health and well-being, and support a more fulfilling and active lifestyle as they age in place, now may be the ideal time for you to consider starting elderly care for them.
An elderly home care services provider can create a personalized set of services specifically designed around your parent’s individual needs, challenges, and limitations that helps them to meet these needs in the way that is right for them. This can help your parent to stay healthy, happy, comfortable, and safe, while pursuing greater independence, fulfillment, and activity throughout their later years.
When it comes to helping your parent stay healthier, particularly during cold and flu season, this care provider can also help with issues such as encouraging germ control such as handwashing, helping with keeping the home clean, and supporting compliance with doctor guidelines such as meal preparation and medication reminders.
If you or an aging loved-one are considering hiring Elderly Care Services in Sun City AZ, please contact the caring staff at Devoted Guardians today. Affordable In-Home Care in the Phoenix Metro Area. Call Today: (800) 699-4781 or (480) 999-3012.
Aaron spent 5 years working for Intel Corporation in Chandler, Arizona right out of college until he ventured off on his own. Aaron has owned and operated successful small businesses for the past 10 years.
Aaron is currently the CEO and owner of Devoted Guardians a Non-Medical In Homecare Agency covering the entire Phoenix valley. Aaron has been CEO since 2012 and running businesses since 2005.
Latest posts by Aaron Sinykin, MBA, CEO (see all)
- Why Do You Need a Caregiving Team for Your Senior? - December 4, 2017
- Caregiver of the Month December 2017 - November 30, 2017
- Devoted Guardians Home Care Named “Caring Star of 2018” for Senior Care Service Excellence - November 29, 2017